search archive
explore archive Up

Historical Emerson Photographs

Object Type: Folder
In root of archive


View Gallery

Title
Description
Date

A casual group photo of the comedy troupe. Nine people are pictured. This is Pathetic, Emerson College's only all long-form improvisational comedy troupe, was formed in 1981. The troupe originally specialized in mime and puppetry, later turning their focus on social satire through sketches, improv, and film.

1981

A multicolored poster promoting the 10th Annual Emerson Film Festival: A Showcase of Student Films, in 2010. Special make-up effects artist, Rick Baker is featured on the left side of the poster. Since 2000, the Emerson College Los Angeles campus has hosted an event to showcase student films and connect alumni to Emerson students. Today, the Emerson College Film Festival and LA Showcase screens student films from the Emerson and Los Angeles campuses with competitions and awards, workshops and lectures from industry figures. Info source: Berkeley Beacon 10/2/2014.

2010

A yellow newspaper article titled, This fall we open our new home on the Charles River. There is a large drawing of the building in the middle of the paper, and at the bottom are the words Beacon and Berkeley Streets Boston. In 1933, the Emerson College of Oratory purchased 130 Beacon Street to house administration and classrooms. It is the first building purchased for what will become the Back Bay campus. This would also become the heart of the Back Bay campus, with the Emerson community gathering in front of the building, dubbing the area as “The Wall.”.

1933

Exterior photo of several buildings. 130 Beacon St. was the heart of college activity for many decades. The building was owned by Emerson College from 1933 through 2003.

1988-11-10

Exterior of the building. An Emerson College banner hands above the entrance. This area was known by the Emerson community as "The Wall." 130 Beacon St. was the heart of college activity for many decades. The building was owned by Emerson College from 1933 through 2003.

1990 - 2003

Building exterior. 130 Beacon St. was the heart of college activity for many decades. The building was owned by Emerson College from 1933 through 2003.

1993-10-05

Exterior of building and street. 130 Beacon St. was the heart of college activity for many decades. The building was owned by Emerson College from 1933 through 2003.

1930 - 1969

Exterior of building and street. View from 143-145 Beacon St. 130 Beacon St. was the heart of college activity for many decades. The building was owned by Emerson College from 1933 through 2003.

1986-04

Student on the front steps of 130 Beacon. Property signage displays the new name, "Emerson College, established 1880," as well as directional signage pointing the way to "FM station WERS" and "Drama workshop in rear." Originally built as private residences, 130 Beacon was part of a group of Back Bay buildings held by Emerson College. The college purchased 130 Beacon in 1933 to house administrative offices and classrooms. It became the flagship building of Emerson's Back Bay campus and over the years would also served as the base for The Emerson Review, The Berkeley Beacon and EIV, as well as the college library and a television studio. President Ross created the college's first theater in the Carriage House, located behind 128 and 130 Beacon. In 1939, the name of the institution was shortened from Emerson College of Oratory to Emerson College to coincide with expanded course offerings. 130 Beacon was a popular student hangout known as the Wall. Upon learning that Emerson was selling all of the college’s west side properties and relocating to complete the vision of the "Campus on the Common," Emerson students, staff, and faculty lamented the loss of the Beacon Street buildings for their character which lent itself to a unique sense of community. "I guess if you ask anyone from Emerson from the Beacon Street era, they would say The Wall was one of the best things about Emerson. It was like our Facebook. Behind The Wall was a huge sheet stretched between posts. All the events and news were posted daily. It was the central gathering point for campus life." - Barbara Ruthberg, BS '68. Info sources: Berkeley Beacon (10/19/2005); Emerson.edu webpages: Past-presidents, Editorial style guide, Memories of the Library; online video: "Pete Chvany reminisces at the wall.”.

1950 - 1959

Photo of the buildings with people on the sidewalk and a car on the street. In 1964, the College purchased 132-134 Beacon Street for use as a dormitory.

1967

Exterior of building. A large banner promotes the 1990 EVVY awards. Shot from 143 Beacon St.

1990-04-12

Four students sit on the front steps.

1986-04

Student with eyeglasses sits on a wood spindle chair reading a magazine. The sunlit room contains empty tables, chairs, and sofas.

1986-04

Two students seated at a long table with books open in front of them. One is talking with a third, standing, student.

1986-04

Front facade of building circa 1963 with neoclassical architectural elements. A Volkswagen beetle is parked on the street. Originally built as a home in 1904-1905, this structure at 150 Beacon Street replaced a house that was the residence of Boston arts benefactor, Isabella Stewart Gardner. 150 Beacon was designed by architect Alexander W. Longfellow, Jr., the nephew of the famous poet. In April 1961, Emerson College purchased 150 Beacon Street and converted it into dormitory and dining hall with a library on the upper floor. The college sold 150 Beacon in 1976.

1963 circa

Interior shot. Top of open staircase with ornate skylight above white columns. Emerson College Library was located here. Date unknown. Before Aug. 1985.

1985

Interior shot. Top of open staircase with ornate skylight above white columns. Emerson College Library was located here. Date unknown. Before Aug. 1985.

1985

Exterior of building in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood. Emerson College Library was located here.

1984 circa

Exterior of building. Owned by Emerson College 1960-1997.

1993-06-29

Exterior shot of building, sepia-toned image. Architects, Elkus/Manfredi. In the early 1990s, Emerson President John Zacharis began the transition that would relocate Emerson College from the Back Bay to the Theater District. The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of 180 Tremont Street to house classrooms and administrative offices. Now known as the Ansin building, 180 Tremont would become the flagship building of the Campus on the Common.

1992-06-19

Exterior shot of building. Architects, Elkus/Manfredi. In the early 1990s, Emerson President John Zacharis began the transition that would relocate Emerson College from the Back Bay to the Theater District. The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of 180 Tremont Street to house classrooms and administrative offices. Now known as the Ansin building, 180 Tremont would become the flagship building of the Campus on the Common.

1992-06-19

Exterior shot of building with Emerson College banners. Architects, Elkus/Manfredi. In the early 1990s, Emerson President John Zacharis began the transition that would relocate Emerson College from the Back Bay to the Theater District. The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of 180 Tremont Street to house classrooms and administrative offices. Now known as the Ansin building, 180 Tremont would become the flagship building of the Campus on the Common.

Architect's rendering of 180 Tremont Street by Elkus/Manfredi, showing the potential usage of the building for students, staff, faculty, and administrators. The illustration includes the basement level, surrounding buildings and the Boylston MBTA station. In the early 1990s, Emerson President John Zacharis began the transition that would relocate Emerson College from the Back Bay to the Theater District. The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of 180 Tremont Street to house classrooms and administrative offices. Now known as the Ansin building, 180 Tremont would become the flagship building of the Campus on the Common.

1992

Artist's sketch of WERS on air studio and live performance studio with musicians and engineers. Elkus / Manfredu Architects Ltd.

Classroom with long tables and chairs all facing forward. Television at front of room. Elkus / Manfredu Architects Ltd.

Interior shot with bench chairs, reception desk and purple wall with white lettering reading "Emerson". Elkus / Manfredu Architects Ltd.

Artist's sketch of TV production studio and broadcast journalism studio. Elkus / Manfredu Architects Ltd.

Exterior shot of building. Architects, Elkus/Manfredi. In the early 1990s, Emerson President John Zacharis began the transition that would relocate Emerson College from the Back Bay to the Theater District. The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of 180 Tremont Street to house classrooms and administrative offices. Now known as the Ansin building, 180 Tremont would become the flagship building of the Campus on the Common.

1992-06-19

Artist's sketch of performing arts rehearsal room and performing arts classroom. Elkus / Manfredu Architects Ltd.

Artist's sketch of lecture hall and classroom. Elkus / Manfredu Architects Ltd.

Press clipping from Emerson College News: Photo shows students waving to others in the cockpit of a biplane. Written on the side of the plane: "Skyways, Inc. Boston Airport." The Emerson Press Club covered a mock presidential election. Students, posing as news correspondents, traveled to East Boston Airport to study how election return stories and pictures would be sent by airplane to Boston dailies.

1928

The 1951-52 Debate Council posing for a group photo. Five people are seated and four more stand behind them. Emerson’s Intercollegiate Debate Program was first organized in 1948 and first offered for credit in 1951. From the very beginning, they were recognized as one of the outstanding teams in the New England area, and their reputation continues today as the Emerson Forensics Team.

1951

Judy Simmons, in a candid photo, crowned by last year's prom queen, Meredith O'Gorman. Prom queen attendant's Bev Foley (Beverly Ghostlaw) and Marge Graham (Marjorie Graham Larson). Also pictured: Leonidas Nickole (left), Junior class president Harry Morgan '59 (right of prom queen) and Edward Darna (far right). Music by Jeff Palmer and his orchestra. Location: Hotel Bradford, 275 Tremont Street in Boston's Theatre District.

1958-03-08

Marlene Riccitello is crowned by last year's prom queen, Judy Simmons. Prom queen attendants Nancy Perko and Cindy Whalen (Cynthia Whalen) also pictured. Location: Hotel Fensgate in the Casino on the Charles room. Music provided by Herbie Wayne Band.

1959-04-25

Two men and an award. In 1962, WERS won the UPI Tom Phillips Award for outstanding achievement in broadcasting, becoming the first college operated radio station to achieve this honor. Emerson student-produced segments would win this award for the next four years.

1962

Martha Hansen '77, president of the Boston Alumni Club addresses the group of approx. 38 alumni. Location: H.J. Hotel, the Hubub Club, Cambridge, Mass.

1989-01-15

Attendants of the alumni brunch. Approx. 38 attended. Location: H.J. Hotel, the Hubub Club, Cambridge, Mass.

1989-01-15

2011

Exterior view, wintertime. Emerson College owned 21 Commonwealth from Sept 24, 1984 through March 4, 2002.

1991?

Interior room with fireplace. The newly renovated Helen Rose room on the first floor of 21 Commonwealth Ave. in the Communication Studies Building.

1991-06-14

Exterior view, wintertime. 21 Commonwealth Ave. housed Communication Studies at Emerson College.

1991?

Exterior view, wintertime. 21 Commonwealth Ave. housed Communication Studies at Emerson College.

1991?

Exterior view, wintertime. 21 Commonwealth Ave. housed Communication Studies at Emerson College.

1991?

Front facade of 216 Tremont Street, Boston. The inscription above the entrance reads: "Union Savings Bank Building" with the dates 1865 and 1927. Purple and gold Emerson College banners hang near the middle floors. The former Union Bank building at 216 Tremont Street is a multipurpose building that houses: the Bill Bordy Theater and Auditorium on the ground floor, used for lectures, performances, performance classes and special events; the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, its clinic for Deaf and Hard of Hearing children, and the Communication Sciences and Disorders Lab (CSD); the offices of the Registrar, Student Financial Services, Health Services, Career Services, the Counseling Center and the International Student Center.

1997

Fifteen people pose for a group photo at the bow of a boat, most of the wearing name tags. A section of the city skyline is visible in the distance.

1986-05-10

A student sits on the ledge of a bay window with her head down (reading). A white raining separates the window area from the rest of the room. On the left wall is a large mirror fixed about a fireplace.

1986-04

Group shop of contest participants. 1st row: Jane Brown, Director of Admissions; Lauren McLean, Assistant Director of Admissions; Third place winner Sharra Calloway; First place winner Lauren Elmore; Second place winner Donnell Singleton; Kathy Thomas, Director of Special Projects at the Freedom House of Dorchester. Photo location: Student Union, Emerson College.

1989-03-04

Group shop of contest participants. 1st row: Jane Brown, Director of Admissions; Lauren McLean, Assistant Director of Admissions; Third place winner Sharra Calloway; First place winner Lauren Elmore; Second place winner Donnell Singleton; Kathy Thomas, Director of Special Projects at the Freedom House of Dorchester. Photo location: Student Union, Emerson College.

1989-03-04

Group photo. Eight women pictured with President Allen Koenig, seated.

1986-05-09

Eileen Leahy receives the American hostage flag from Henry Fredette. Terry Anderson, an American journalist, was held hostage by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon from 1985-1991. Eileen Leahy, president of the Society of Professional Journalists; Henry Fredette, hostage flag designer. Location: South Middle School, Waltham, MA.

1990-03-16

Jerry Levin speaks on behalf of Terry Anderson. Terry Anderson, an American journalist, was held hostage by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon from 1985-1991. Event location: South Middle School, Waltham, MA.

1990-03-16

Eileen Leahy receives hostage flag from Henry Fredette. Terry Anderson, an American journalist, was held hostage by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon from 1985-1991. Eileen Leahy, president of the Society of Professional Journalists; Henry Fredette, hostage flag designer. Location: South Middle School, Waltham, MA.

1990-03-16

Jerry Levin and Sis Levin at the podium. Terry Anderson, an American journalist, was held hostage by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon from 1985-1991. The Levin's were also hostages. Jerry Levin was Cable News Network's Beirut chief and his wife Sis Levin authored the book "Beirut Diary." Location: South Middle School, Waltham, MA.

1990-03-16

Seated panel includes: Jerry Levin, Sis Levin, Manny Paraschos, Marsha Della-Giustina and Anthony Mandile. Terry Anderson, an American journalist, was held hostage by Hezbollah militants in Lebanon from 1985-1991. Event location: South Middle School, Waltham, MA.

1990-03-16

Exterior view of 6 Arlington St. (0 Marlborough St.), shot from Public Garden with a food truck parked out front. Constructed in 1930, and purchased by Emerson College from the Katherine Gibbs School, Zero Marlborough Street is an historic art deco building that served as a dormitory and dining hall for Emerson College from 1988 to 2006. It also contained large dance hall.

1988-02-01

Exterior view of 6 Arlington St. (0 Marlborough St.), shot from Public Garden with a food truck parked out front. Constructed in 1930, Zero Marlborough is an historic art deco building that served as a dormitory and dining hall for Emerson College from 1988 to 2006. It also contained large dance hall.

1988

Exterior view of 6 Arlington St. (0 Marlborough Street), shot from Public Garden across Arlington Street. Emerson College owned and used the building as a dormitory 1988-2006.

1992-10-22

Exterior of corner brick building in "The Flat" of Beacon Hill neighborhood. There a small blue & white Emerson College sign affixed to the corner of the building. Emerson College Performing Arts Division at 67-69 Brimmer St.

1994-08-08

Black and white photo of front facade of 96 Beacon Street with students on the front stoop. An American flag hangs above the entrance. Built in 1849, the building at 96 Beacon Street served as Emerson's student union from 1964 until 2006 and was used for small gatherings, rehearsals and other events. Info source: Berkeley Beacon (4/6/2006); Boston Business Journal (4/2/2014).

1960 - 1970

1986-01

1986-04-02

1986-05-08

Actors in performance. Titania is played by Nancy Ellis. Location: 69 Brimmer St., Boston, MA.

1987-12

Photo of narrow cobblestone street in Beacon Hill, Boston, Mass. No photo credit, courtesy of Emerson College Relations.

1983

Photo of narrow cobblestone street in Beacon Hill in Boston. Source refers to date as: before August 1985.

1985

Photograph of book jacket for "Acrobats of the Soul," written by Ron Jenkins, associate professor in performing arts.

1989-02-10

Austin Pendleton and Colleen Jenkins teach a class together on directing.

1988-04-25

Austin Pendleton, actor, teaches a class on directing. Fireplace Theatre, Brimmer St., Boston.

1988-04-25

Austin Pendleton, actor, teaches a class on acting. Fireplace Theatre, Brimmer St., Boston.

1988-04-25

Eli Wallach and Anne Jackson during a performance. Location: Dorothy Quincy Suite at John Hancock Hall.

1988-06-06

Benefit performance of the Actors' Enclave. From left to right: Moses Gunn, Beatrice Straight, ?, Austin Pendelton and Robert Lansing. Unidentified woman in center may be pianist Sylvia Kahan.

1988-06-06

Benefit performance of the Actors' Enclave. From left to right: Eli Wallach, Anne Jackson, Moses Gunn, Beatrice Straight, ?, Austin Pendleton, Robert Lansing, Tammy Grimes, E.G. Marshall and William Alfred (members of the Actors' Enclave). Location: Dorothy Quincy Suite at John Hancock Hall. Unidentified woman in center may be pianist Sylvia Kahan.

1988-06-06

Benefit performance of the Actors' Enclave. From left to right: Moses Gunn, Beatrice Straight, ?, Austin Pendleton, Robert Lansing, Tammy Grimes, Ray Flynn (back to camera), E.G. Marshall, William Alfred (all members of the Actors' Enclave), and theatre critic Eliot Norton. Location: Dorothy Quincy Suite at John Hancock Hall. Unidentified woman 3rd from left may be pianist Sylvia Kahan.

1988-06-06

Backstage, a young woman in a dress, holds a script. Possibly shot during a production of Antigone or Escurial.

1960

Backstage, a young woman reads a script. On the wall above her, a sign reads, "Home Sweet Home." Possibly shot during a production of Antigone or Escurial.

1960

Art Silverman '71 (National Public Radio), Debra Fountain '84 (news anchor/reporter), Mary Kay Adams '83 (actress) and Jim Frangione '82 (Stage Company of Boston). Event was held at the Student Union.

1988-10-16

Group photo of the Admissions staff. Jane Brown, Dean of Admissions; Lauren McLean, Helen Cross, Scott MacPhetres and Anna Heidinger (seated right). Location: Admissions Lounge at One Arlington St.

1989-06-16

Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Gregory Payne, Jacqueline Liebergott. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Gregory Payne (center), Jacqueline Liebergott (left). Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Larry Agran. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Larry Agran, Democratic presidential candidate. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Larry Agran, Democratic presidential candidate. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Larry Agran, Democratic presidential candidate. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Jacqueline Liebergott at the podium. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Jacqueline Liebergott at the podium. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Jacqueline Liebergott. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Larry Agran, Jacqueline Liebergott. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Jacqueline Liebergott; Larry Agran. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Left to right: Soly Haim, GSA president; Jeremy Milner, CPLA president; Larry Agran, Democratic presidential candidate; and Brandon Arakelian, SGA president. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Jacqueline Liebergott (center). Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Larry Agran, Democratic presidential candidate. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Larry Agran, Democratic presidential candidate. Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Sponsored by Communication, Politics and Law Association.

1992-02-13

Powered by Preservica
Copyright 2016 © Emerson College