The American Comedy Archives Oral Histories consists of audiovisual interviews conducted by comedian Bill Dana, archivist/historian Jenni Matz, comedian Eddie Brill, archivist/historian Robert Fleming, and television producer/professor Dan Pasternack with comedians, directors, writers, producers, agents, and experts on comedy. Oral history interviews were conducted with Bea Arthur, Ed Begley, Jr., Shelley Berman, Lewis Black, Kevin Bright, Eddie Brill, Jack Carter, Dick Cavett, Tim Conway, Irwin Corey, Norm Crosby, Billy Crystal, Bill Dana, Sam Denoff, Vin DiBona, Phyllis Diller, Diane English, Barbara Feldon, Budd Friedman, Larry Gelbart, Shecky Greene, Dick Gregory, Charles Grodin, Pat Harrington, Jr., Hugh Hefner, Buck Henry, Doug Herzog, Arte Johnson, Austin "Rocky" Kalish, Irma Kalish, Hal Kanter, Don Knotts, Norman Lear, Rose Marie, Peter Marshall, Dick Martin, Jamie Masada, Jackie Mason, Chuck McCann, Jayne Meadows, Carlos Mencia, Howard Murray, Jan Murray, Bob Newhart, Louis Nye, Gary Owens, Janis Paige, Bill Persky, Tom Poston, Carl Reiner, Jack Riley, Tony Roberts, Paul Rodriguez, Andy Rooney, Jay Sandrich, George Schlatter, George Shapiro, Leonard Stern, Howard Storm, Dick Van Dyke, Dick Van Patten, Betty White, Fred Willard, Henry Winkler, Jonathan Winters, Steven Wright, and "Weird Al" Yankovic. The bulk of the interviews were originally recorded on DVcam tapes from February 2005 through May 2007 and duplicated at Emerson College. Some of the oral histories were done in conjunction with the American Television Foundation. In addition to the video oral histories there are transcripts for certain interviews.
2005-02-21 - 2019-06-10
The Charles W. Emerson Homestead Collection is a collection of glass plate negative prints from our College founder Charles Wesley Emerson's summer estate in Rochester, Vermont. Depicting Emerson, his family, home and surroundings, this collection offers a glimpse into his country life during the 1890s.
1890 - 1899
Graduate, Undergraduate, and Department of Professional Studies and Special Programs Catalogues, include course descriptions, admission guidelines, degree requirements, expenses, and administrative information about Emerson staff, departments, and offices.
2002 - 2020
The collection contains posters, publications, fliers, invitations, and other publicity material to promote cultural events and holidays, general meetings, banquets, panels and discussions, and other activities sponsored by multicultural student groups at Emerson.
The Southwick Recital series was an Emerson tradition and one of the oldest oratory recitals in the United States. The series featured distinguished Emerson faculty and alumni/a, along with honored guest artists. The series was founded by Henry Lawrence Southwick in 1900 when he was dean of Emerson College, he later became the third president of Emerson in 1908.
1969 - 2001
Emerson Endures: Documenting Our Shared COVID-19 Experience illustrates the affect the COVID-19 pandemic has had on the Emerson College community; it contains original works created and submitted by faculty, staff, and students and includes writings, poetry, images, audio and video recordings, artwork, and other records illustrating the impact.
The Emerson College yearbook, The Emersonian, was published annually with some gaps during the 1930s and 1940s until it ceased publication, the last issue is 2016. Digitization sponsorship from the Boston Public Library and the Digital Commonwealth, and digitization courtesy of the Internet Archive for the 1908-2014 yearbooks.
1908 - 2016
"Expression" magazine is published three times a year, and it includes updates about the Emerson College community, curriculum, and alumni. The digital collection is missing the Fall 2010 and Fall 2013 issues, but they are available in hard copy at the Emerson College Archives and Special Collections. Prior to being renamed "Expression" in 2000 the publication was called the "Emerson Beacon," "The Emerson College Bulletin," and "Beacon."
Photographs highlighting life at Emerson College over the years, includes images of students, faculty, staff, alumni, sporting events, lectures, reunions, and campus facilities.
The Little Building published its own newspaper, the Little Building News, from 1922 to 1925. Known as the "City Under One Roof," the Little Building was built in 1917, it was designed by prominent Boston architect Clarence Blackhall and named for Boston businessman and philanthropist, John Mason Little. Now one of our beloved dormitories, the Little Building was once home to offices, a shopping arcade, restaurants and even a post office. Digitization of the Little Building News has been made possible thanks to the Digital Commonwealth.
1922-04 - 1925-03
Films produced by Emerson College's Media, Technologies and Production Department, including documentaries and promotional films and footage of Emerson College events.
2012 - 2018